One of the four original buildings of the Chew Street campus, the Administration Building, fondly referred to as simply the “Ad” building, originally housed administrative offices, a chapel, a gymnasium, classrooms, and the library. It was the all-purpose building for a college expanding its footprint and horizons.
In 1961, the building was renamed for Dean George T. Ettinger, Class of 1880, longtime professor of Latin.
The Building that Doesn’t Know What It Wants to Be
by Laura Diorio
The Ettinger building of Muhlenberg college is one of the oldest and most essential buildings on campus. Originally called the Ad (Administration) building until 1961, it was renamed after dean of the college George T. Ettinger. On the night of May 30, 1947, a fire erupted in the roof of the beloved building, causing the entire campus to quickly salvage records and equipment. Though the cause of the fire is unknown to this day, the support keeping Ettinger standing represents the spirit of the college through the decades.