The first building dedicated solely to student residence needs was completed in 1904, as the College prepared to move to its current location from the original site at 4th and Walnut Streets. The first recorded resident was future German professor Preston Barba. Informally coming to be known as “East Hall” in the 1930s, it was a primary residence for students in the Navy V-12 program during World War II. It is one of the four oldest buildings on campus.
East Hall by Brandt Sunter
East Hall is Muhlenberg’s first dormitory, and has been around for over 100 years. During the building renovation, the interior walls were demolished, and, in the process, a trove of curious artifacts connected to its history were discovered. Each of these artifacts tells just one of many stories of distinctly different times in Muhlenberg’s history.