Built in the Collegiate Gothic style, modeled on Tom Tower at Christ Church, Oxford, Muhlenberg’s original library was eventually named after John A. W. Haas, president of the college at the time of its construction from 1926-1929. Since the construction of Trexler Library in 1987-88, the building has been home to Admissions, Alumni Affairs, Advancement, the President and Provost’s offices, and other administrative units.
Haas: A Man of The Mind by Korena Tavano
President of Muhlenberg College from 1904-1936, John A.W. Haas was an intelligent man. He wanted to create what he envisioned as a Greater Muhlenberg with more access to knowledge. His 1924 campaign sparked the creation of multiple buildings on campus. One of those buildings was the library which was and still is central to student life. It is now known as Haas College Center and is used for administrative offices including Admissions, Registrar and the President’s Office.