West Hall was constructed in 1915-16 as the new home of the Allentown Preparatory School. Long affiliated with Muhlenberg, the Prep School had remained at the 4th and Walnut St. address after the College moved to its current campus. The Prep School continued until 1939, when declining enrollment and the College’s expansion caused President Levering Tyson to close the institution and re-purpose the building as a freshman dormitory. During World War II, “West Hall” served as a dorm for V-12 and V-5 students. When the College adopted coeducation in 1957, West Hall was deemed the best option for a female dormitory.
A Sanctuary for Women by Sabrina Roth
When asked about living in Brown Hall, resident’s past and present smile and respond with fervor, pinning it as a sanctuary for women. A Sanctuary for Women goes into the history of Brown Hall, which originated as a Prep School, transformed into a male freshman dorm called West Hall, and then finally became the all-women’s dorm we know today. Including an interview with Doris Krewson, a member of Muhlenberg’s first coed class, this documentary illustrates the significance of Brown as a haven for women on campus.